Experienced policy practitioners take a wide body of evidence and:
- Apply it to current issues in a coherent, joined up, way across a broad front; and
- Write clear and well-articulated analysis and policy proposals that are:
Concrete and feasible; capable wherever possible of appealing to the political middle ground; on occasion radical, but not simply for the sake of it.
- Are senior and experienced.
- Know their subject matter inside out.
- Have generally been involved throughout their professional lives in giving practical, feasible, policy advice.
Our critical commentators:
- Are similarly qualified to our authors.
- Assist authors with constructive criticism and advice during the drafting stage. (A few even become joint authors.)
While authors and critical commentators may well have political preferences these are, to the greatest extent possible, put to one side.